Photo by: Daniella Vereeken
Oscar fish are extremely smart. They are know for their aggressiveness so care must be taken in choosing tank mates. They will grow up 18″ so they need a big tank. Oscar fish are also know for being messy, so they need good tank maintenance. Take a look at the other details about the Oscar fish.
Oscar Fish Names:
- Common: Oscar Fish
- Scientific: Astronotus ocellatus
- Varieties: Veil Tale, Tiger, Albino, Red
Oscar Fish General Info:
- Care Level: Easy
- Origin: South America
- Max Size: 15in (38cm) long
- Life Span: Up to 18 yrs
- General Temperament: Aggressive
- Minimum Tank Size: 55 Gallon
- Tank Region: Entire Tank
- Preferred Food: Pellets, Freeze Dried, Live
- Family: Cichlids
- Ideal Tank Mates: Jack Dempseys, Large Plecostomus, Large Pacus
- Schooling: It’s best to keep only 1 or 5+. Anything in between can lead to ganging up one.
Oscar Fish Water Ideals:
- pH: 6-8
- Temp: 76°F-82°F (24°C-28°C)
- Hardness: 5-20dH
Oscar Fish Breeding:
- Ideal Temp: Warmer 82°F (28°C)
- Difficulty: Easy
- Gender Differences: Males colors are brighter.
- Other Notes: Clean water conditions are very important.